[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Jun 3 18:30:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 17:34 -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 05:13:08PM -0400, Lori Paniak wrote:
> >
> > I think this attempt (third try?) is coming pretty close to being
> > acceptable.  All that is needed is a clause allowing lock circumvention
> > for personal purposes.
>
> Rather, remove the whole idea of digital locks being legally enforcable in
> the first place.
>
> Digital locks enforced by law are the equivalent of a two-class copyright
> system.  Those that make the locks make the rules, regardless of how
> balanced the rest of the copyright act is.

Particularly when you consider copyright expiry. Things are not
copyrighted forever (perpetual extensions aside). It would be nice to
have an archiveable copy.

Also, I'm about half-way through re-ripping my CD collection as FLAC
files (they were all previously ripped as vorbis). This is perfectly
fine and legal, with the exception of about five CDs that have
"DRM" (intentionally corrupted ToC, fake checksums, etc). I can rip them
just fine, but I'm technically this would be an offence under this bill.

--
Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>