[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Jun 3 18:44:56 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 05:43:05PM -0400, Lori Paniak wrote:
> Unfortunately, the reality of the treaty obligations does not allow for
> such an enlightened position.
>
> DRM exists and will continue to exist for the foreseeable future.  I
> think the best we can hope for is to make sure it does not trump our
> rights to make personal choices.

I have no problem with DRM existing, per se, but I do have a problem
with it having legal weight.  I think DRM is morally wrong, but
I wouldn't make it illegal if a company wants to try to make their
business model depend on it.

Would the treaty allow for your exception clause?  I'm not sure.

I think it would be better for Canada to ignore the treaty than to
promote digital oppression.

- Chris