[kwlug-disc] Posting without subscribing to the KWLUG-Help list

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Wed Jun 2 13:59:29 EDT 2010

I'm just saying, newbs ain't going to sign up to a mailman list.  It's
1990's technology.  Nobody starts up any sort of community discussion
these days using mailman technology.  Newbs will go elsewhere, to some
more familiar venue.

The idea that it's their fault, we've done everything we can is
incorrect as well.  It's not the newbs that are not drinking, it's the
community who's placing onerous restrictions on their participation.

I'm not looking to give Paul et al more work, and I don't have a
preference as to how the job gets done or even if it gets done.  But I'm
pretty certain that if the intent is to help newbs, this route is
actually going to discourage them.

People have a distaste for forums, they're in the minority - look
around.  People don't want to visit a site to answer questions, then
they're not going to 'help' anyway, so not much of a loss anyway.  So
don't do a forum, don't do other methods, whatever - but then you might
just as well not bother doing it at all.  Setting up a mailman list is a
wasted effort if you're targetting newbs.

I post very actively online - and I attempt to help quite frequently
(daily) online, though outside the linux community.  And in the 90's, I
was on a few mailman lists.  Now, this is the only mailman list I'm on.
And when I see mailman lists when I google problems, I assume their dead
- and I would never, ever sign up for a list just for a drive by, one
time newb question.  I would, and do however sign up for other methods
to ask my help  questions.

--
Glenn Cooke
Insurance Squared Inc.