[kwlug-disc] Posting without subscribing to the KWLUG-Help list

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Jun 2 08:04:03 EDT 2010

Chris Frey says:

> If replies go to the list, and newbies aren't subscribed, then the newbies
> 	won't see it.

The OpenOffice list works this way -- messages allowed from unsubscribed
users,   Replies can be sent to the Original Poster, or not, as the
replyer wants.  Unsubscribed users can catch the replies in the archives.

> So that leads to the idea of turning off the
> 	Reply-To header, which leads to Reply To All behaviour

Reply-to munging is always a bad idea.  But I do it on some of the lists
I maintain at the request of users, who can't figure out how to use the
"Reply" button on their mail client.  If that's the level of new user
kwlug-help is hoping to attract then requiring mailing list subscription
is way beyond them, and the list will be just like the 6:30 Q&A period.

Unsolicited says:

> The moderator cannot be, or become, the behaviour or censorship police
> - the list will deal with that under its own steam.

Then why bother with moderation at all?

--Bob.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 at 1:08, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote
about [kwlug-disc] Posting without subscribing to the KWLUG-Help list: