[kwlug-disc] Posting without subscribing to the KWLUG-Help list

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Jun 2 01:08:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 12:13:34AM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> If the intent is to encourage the newest Linux users, those who might
> not have cottoned on to the protocol and etiquette of mailing lists,
> then posting should be allowed from unsubscribed users.

This sounds good at first, but there are some maintenance problems with
this.

1) If replies go to the list, and newbies aren't subscribed, then the newbies
	won't see it.  So that leads to the idea of turning off the
	Reply-To header, which leads to Reply To All behaviour, which leads to
	cumulating address lists in the To fields in the best case, or in
	the worst case, leads to:

2) If newbies need to Reply To All to get to the list, then the first person
	who answers the question becomes the off-list answerer for all
	followup questions, because newbies may only reply, and have it
	go to the individual instead of the list.

Of course, #2 might actually be a newbie-friendly outcome, but it is an
outcome we should be aware of and consciously choose, instead of let it
happen by accident.

I suggest having a custom email message that goes to any off-list poster,
stating that the message is awaiting moderation approval, and that if
they choose not to subscribe to the list, they should watch the archives
for answers.  I believe mailman can be configured this way.

- Chris