[kwlug-disc] Posting without subscribing to the KWLUG-Help list

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 2 02:01:52 EDT 2010

I subscribed digest wise, so haven't yet seen Paul's message.

Bob Jonkman wrote, On 06/02/2010 12:13 AM:
> (Posting to this list instead of the other because I'm not asking or
> answering a Linux question.  Meta-questions on kwlug-help are taboo,
> right?)
>
> Paul Nijjar wrote about the kwlug-help list:
>
>> you need to subscribe to
>> the list before posting. (Maybe we should change that policy?)

I would suggest not. If kwlug help is about linux help, and we all
know there is a line between new computer user help, and computer
comfortable new linux user help, and ultimately the line will be
somewhere in between, it seems reasonable that a minimum acid test of
entry be that you are able to read and follow simple directions to
subscribe. And that you don't use anonymity to 'spam' the list.

> If the intent is to encourage the newest Linux users, those who might
> not have cottoned on to the protocol and etiquette of mailing lists,
> then posting should be allowed from unsubscribed users.

I doubt that this will be a problem. We've all been there, we've all
learned over time. We've all burned ourselves with mistakes, been
tolerated, gotten better, and in turn helped others. Along the way,
most of us have a fairly high tolerance for 'poor' behaviour, and
watching continuous improvement occur. Actually, usually, the worst
offenders soon feel unwelcome, and leave on their own.

As we have seen, lists are largely able to moderate behaviour among
themselves, by themselves. Moderated or not, lists have always had the
ability to kick off the list (unsubscribe) truly inappropriate
behaviour of significant and long standing behaviour.

> Posting is moderated, so unwanted messages will never make it to the
> list.  Perhaps only unsubscribed members need to be moderated; perhaps
> subscribed members could post freely.

Chris makes good points about how do unsubscribed members get

Let's keep the moderator load as low as possible, particularly if the
list becomes astonishingly popular.

The moderator cannot be, or become, the behaviour or censorship police
- the list will deal with that under its own steam. (I can only
imagine the process of - sorry, your post doesn't meet our standards -
and dealing with that.) I can see the moderator saying: Sorry, I see
no question here. But that's about it.

I can see people being moderated for, say, their first 5 posts.
Tracking that would likely be irritating.

Unfortunately, unlike a forum, no moderator can just say - closing thread.

Perhaps allow free subscription and no moderation, much like
kwlug-disc and let the list police itself.

After all, inappropriate posts will just be ignored. And truly
intolerable behaviour will simply be followed with unsubscription.
Even kwlug-disc maintains that ability.

I have no reason to believe it's ever been used.

There have been times when I might wish it had been, but the simple
solution to that is to add the poster to my 'auto mark read', or kill
list.

Presumably, ultimately, an expected side effect of -help membership is
joining kwlug-disc. You can deal with problem people there, with
moderation, but the group itself is going to have to deal with them
unmoderated, when they join kwlug-disc.

P.S. If a kwlug-disc moderator ever has to take action not obvious to
the list, e.g. unsubscribing someone, I would hope the moderated
action would be reported to the list.