[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

Shane shane.msg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 20:00:55 EDT 2010

Aa you all know and would all realize if you tuned into your r-brain, the answer is marketing.  "Lunux" was chosen to honor/remember/respect/whatever Linus Torvalds.  "Android" was chosen because it is a well-known term the meaning of which can be stretched to include this situation with no big problem.

Also, at least from the outside, Linux with its many flavors appears fragmented.  Thanks again to marketing, funded in large part by I've no idea who, people seem to have the idea that choice and customizability is bad.  Most people resist change; it requires that they think.  However, change does happen.

I was speaking to a young lady at Fairway Mall today and we got to talking about mobile phones just after she had received a call.  She had a Motorola Backflip.  She had won it so she figured she might as well use it.  It is the first Android phone she has ever used and she just loves it.

Another crack in the wall?  Possibly.  People naturally resist confinement.  As more people find out, MS will take more hits.

I have been saying almost from day one that the really weird thing is that all MS had to do to blunt the rise of Lunux was provide value.   Apparently the one strategy that never occurred to them.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.