[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 2 14:49:55 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 06:26:38PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:

>>> It matters. At least to the point where walking in and
>>> saying "Give me one of those." is a palatable buying
>>> experience.
>>
>> I guess the point is "what does it matter" for the purpose of the announcement.
>
> Fair point.
>
> It matters to the reader who's (whom's?) logical question is, then:
> "Where do I get one?"

Come to Computer Recycling. We'll sell you a computer with "Linux" on
it. This offer applies to every single person who read that article
worldwide (so long as they're willing to pay their own transportation
costs here...) We won't lead you down a garden path of options and
distros and desktop environments. We'll give you a "Linux" with a
sensible default configuration. If you want to learn and grow from
that starting point you are welcome to. Otherwise, you can use your
computer to get stuff done and then get on with your life.

That's a snarky response, but there's a serious intention behind it.
Getting "Linux" onto somebody's computer is easy(ish). It's the follow
up that's hard. I don't think being specific about which distro Google
is using (as if the Google engineers are not smart enough to have
preferences coming in) is all that important. The keyword "Linux" is
good enough, provided that people can find support/community/help to
get over that learning curve.

For more information on this fascinating topic, come down to Monday's
KWLUG meeting (and bring a friend) and pay attention to Richard's
talk. He'll school you good.

- Paul