[kwlug-disc] how to recover a mysql database when getting "Unknown table engine 'InnoDB???" err

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jul 28 13:01:57 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> >
> > > If you have the same binary of MySQL daemon running it should just
> > > work. I suspect the files you have were created on another version
> > > of MySQL. Perhaps you just need one that supports the particular
> > > version of innoDB? Perhaps you are missing an innodb .so?
> >
> >   argh.  i was being misled by the error message suggesting that the
> > engine name "innodb" was being mangled with some unprintable
> > characters.  turns out that "show engines;" doesn't even list innodb
> > as one of the engines so i clearly neglected to activate it.  i was
> > running from memory off of my previous ubuntu box where i'd set it up.
> >
> >   argh.
> >
> >   so i'll just follow along here, i think.
> >

> http://serverfault.com/questions/143805/unable-to-enable-innodb-in-mysql-on-ubuntu-10-04
> >
> > or maybe i'll just have a nap, then wake up and come to the ubuntu
> > hour and torture someone *there*.
>
>   hang on, maybe it's not that simple.  if i look in /etc/mysql/my.cnf
> (the file i am allegedly supposed to enhance to get innodb), i read:
>
> #
> # * InnoDB
> #
> # InnoDB is enabled by default with a 10MB datafile in /var/lib/mysql/.
> # Read the manual for more InnoDB related options. There are many!
>
>  but if i fire up mysql and run "show engines;", it's clearly not
> there.  i suspect i really do have to add the functionality via the
> plugins to my.cnf.

Yes, InnoDB is enabled by default, at least on 10.04.

What does the following say?

show variables like '%have_inno%';
+---------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+---------------+-------+
| have_innodb   | YES   |

But I suspect that by overwriting the ibdata file, you clobbered its
internal
stuff, and it can't make sense of it. The ibdata file is shared by all
databases
and not specific to any one database.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin