[kwlug-disc] how to recover a mysql database when getting "Unknown table engine 'InnoDB???" err

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jul 28 12:48:13 EDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, John Van Ostrand wrote:
>
> > If you have the same binary of MySQL daemon running it should just
> > work. I suspect the files you have were created on another version
> > of MySQL. Perhaps you just need one that supports the particular
> > version of innoDB? Perhaps you are missing an innodb .so?
>
>   argh.  i was being misled by the error message suggesting that the
> engine name "innodb" was being mangled with some unprintable
> characters.  turns out that "show engines;" doesn't even list innodb
> as one of the engines so i clearly neglected to activate it.  i was
> running from memory off of my previous ubuntu box where i'd set it up.
>
>   argh.
>
>   so i'll just follow along here, i think.
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/143805/unable-to-enable-innodb-in-mysql-on-ubuntu-10-04
>
> or maybe i'll just have a nap, then wake up and come to the ubuntu
> hour and torture someone *there*.

  hang on, maybe it's not that simple.  if i look in /etc/mysql/my.cnf
(the file i am allegedly supposed to enhance to get innodb), i read:

#
# * InnoDB
#
# InnoDB is enabled by default with a 10MB datafile in /var/lib/mysql/.
# Read the manual for more InnoDB related options. There are many!

  but if i fire up mysql and run "show engines;", it's clearly not
there.  i suspect i really do have to add the functionality via the
plugins to my.cnf.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca