[kwlug-disc] how to recover a mysql database when getting "Unknown table engine 'InnoDB???" err

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jul 28 12:26:41 EDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, John Van Ostrand wrote:

> If you have the same binary of MySQL daemon running it should just
> work. I suspect the files you have were created on another version
> of MySQL. Perhaps you just need one that supports the particular
> version of innoDB? Perhaps you are missing an innodb .so?

  argh.  i was being misled by the error message suggesting that the
engine name "innodb" was being mangled with some unprintable
characters.  turns out that "show engines;" doesn't even list innodb
as one of the engines so i clearly neglected to activate it.  i was
running from memory off of my previous ubuntu box where i'd set it up.

  so i'll just follow along here, i think.

or maybe i'll just have a nap, then wake up and come to the ubuntu
hour and torture someone *there*.