[kwlug-disc] DuckDuckGo.com -- an alternate search engine

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 28 09:44:08 EDT 2010

I thought we were talking about a search engine :D

Otherwise, sure you need to use the right technology for the right
purpose. I never use Javascript to build a webpage, that's what the
server is for. However, Javascript can create a more interactive
experience in addition to it.

I myself have no time for flash because it is not open. However, again
this is my opinion. In the end, you don't build a house only with a
hammer. You have a whole set of tools that a used in the appropriate
places. Used in conjunction you are able to build a good house, the same
is the case with software apps and websites.

I have no quarrels building websites that are good for SEO and give
interactivity for the users. Use javascript were it is useful (Site
note: You can also use accessibility tags to have the information that
is otherwise not available in text form. We do this with images for a
long time, just look at good HTML versions of books at Project
Gutenberg. You cannot solve every issue with this, but a lot, and as I
said before, you need to think first why you use which technology before
you do so)