[kwlug-disc] DuckDuckGo.com -- an alternate search engine

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 27 21:45:43 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Ralph Janke <txwikinger at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > But with search, we just want the text. Perhaps a picture or two. No
> > ads, no refreshes, no anything else ... just GIVE ME THE ANSWER! If we
> > knew they didn't have the answer, we wouldn't have gone there in the
> > first place. And, somehow, not having the answer almost becomes the
> > fault of the page creator. <sigh>
> >

> No. I don't only want text. I want additional functionality like auto-
> completion of web-forms, realtime updates, etc. Only because you do not
> want
> to have that, it does not mean that nobody else wants to have that.

Ralph,

You are missing the point on search here. We are not talking about
interaction
with forms. That can stay (as long as it degrades gracefully).

Javascript is bad for search indexing, just the same way Flash is bad for
search.

Flash is not indexable. When a restaurant has their web site's menus as text
and photos on Flash, the text never gets indexed simply because it is HTML.

The same goes for Javascript with things like jquery and the ten other
frameworks.
They can display stuff dynamically based on some interaction with the site
(mouse
over, click, ...etc.) That dynamic text will not get indexed properly in
searches.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.