[kwlug-disc] Access Restrictions on Tomato

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 25 01:27:47 EDT 2010

I am trying to set up a WRT54GL router using the Tomato firmware. My
goal is to set up "access restrictions" that will turn off the
wireless at certain times.

This is sort-of working, but not consistently. I think there is some
kind of race condition:

- The router does not come with a built-in clock, so it needs to get
  its time via NTP.
- The access restrictions kick in properly if the clock is set at
  kick-in time.

If the router has its time, then the access restrictions work.
Otherwise they fail, and the wireless stays on even when it should be
off.

My question: how does Tomato actually check the access restrictions? I
can see in NVRAM where the restrictions are defined, but don't know
what is using those variables. If I knew what to type to make the
route check the access restrictions, I could make a small script to
first call NTP and then check the restrictions.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org