[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jul 28 00:56:34 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 07/27/2010 10:40 PM:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca
> <mailto:chris at chrisirwin.ca>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 18:16 -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>      > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Ralph Janke
>     <txwikinger at ubuntu.com <mailto:txwikinger at ubuntu.com>>
>      > wrote:
>      >         Well.. the question is the difference between linking, and
>      >         just calling.
>      >
>      > Calling as a function call to the same process space? Everything is
>      > GPL.
>      > Calling as in making a socket call to a separate program? GPL
>     does not
>      > apply.
>
>     What about a bash script calling a built-in function?
>

> I assume a built in function is part of the bash interpreter itself, and
> runs in the same process space.
>
> Therefore, it would be, according to the FSF, all under the GPL.
>
> But what is the point? Does one write proprietary bash extensions
> that are built in functions?

I took the question the other way - the bash script itself.

Which would include calls to these internal (GPL'ed) commands.

Actually, I think this has been covered already - I think this
parallels the idea of a theme.

OTOH, one may take bash and extend it for oneself, and a script may
make calls to that internal function.

   Alright - that's been covered too, in essence, this is the
Wordpress situation that started all this.

So, I would guess, the script itself probably wouldn't be considered
GPL, but one's bash extensions, IF distributed, would be.

Going back to the profit model for a moment ...

Some kids, apparently, aspire to write the next great novel - and live
in the lap of luxury, with dancing girls, forever. (Sorry, Oksana.)
Others, probably most on the list, aspired to write the next great
program - and become Steve Jobs (the second time at Apple).

So, the FOSS environment, and the conclusions reached in the thread on
this list, almost seem like a sucker punch.

See, here's these shiny free tools for you to use - WHAM!

Ce la vie.