[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jul 19 13:58:01 EDT 2010

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 07/19/2010 10:23 AM:
> Having said that this thread makes me frightened.

Of what? (Or is this just 'FUD'?)

Qualify / quantify?

Nothing to be frightened of.

Switching from POTS (Asterisk/VoIP) or Rogers (Myth) you are becoming
the distributor and manager of the signal rather than having them do
it for you. Much like having a bookshelf makes you a librarian.

So there are more pieces in this puzzle than before, and each piece
has it's own learning curve, vendor (now you), and configuration.

As well as cost savings and functionality enhancements.

We can spend our time and overcome the learning curve, or spend the
money and accept whatever the black box vendors offer.

It can't be all that hard, as too many people here do it. And although
it took more time until they gained the expertise they had today, the
functional and cost rewards must be worth it to them or they wouldn't
be advocating it.

So, to my mind, my only real fear would be: Do I have the time for this?

But, every person and situation is different. YMMV.

Disclaimer: I haven't done it yet, myself (but I've acquired most of
the equipment and done a fair bit of reading) - Haven't had the time.