[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

Tue Jul 20 09:58:32 EDT 2010

On Monday, July 19, 2010 08:42:27 pm Paul Nijjar wrote:
> I understand. I think that our setup seems much simpler than what you
> and Andrew are talking about -- we have no SIP phones, and are just
> using the VoIP lines as trunks into our KSU. I am hoping that this
> means we will avoid a lot of pain (bandwidth permitting) but who
> knows?

If all you are using VOIP for is a way to give your old PBX VOIP, you should
have zero -- zero -- problems.  Anything you do run in to I would be happy to
assist, as I am sure John or anyone else who's hearing this would be willing
to do.

The only real configuration challenges I can think of are as follows:

1. disable caller-id on the FXO (telephone company facing) side -- you don't
want the ATA to figure out who's calling, you want the Nortel to worry about
it.  (letting the ATA do it doesn't harm anything, it just takes an extra ring
before the Nortel sees it)

2. MAYBE playing with the gains so that the audio volume isn't too loud or
quiet. Most ATAs these days are pretty good about this, though, so I doubt
you'd have to do anything.

#1 is only a concern if you want to keep your existing Bell telephone lines.
If you're going pure-voip, this is a non-issue, as John pointed out.

-A.