[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

Sun Jul 18 03:29:27 EDT 2010

On Sunday, July 18, 2010 01:47:23 am Paul Nijjar wrote:
> This brings up some (impolite and even more off-topic) followup
> questions.

Impolite?

> How much do limited upload speeds hurt you in these kinds of
> situations? Are you getting something better than commodity business
> internet links?

I've only been lucky enough to play with fancy links on one occasion.
Everything else I've done has been over commodity DSL links (up to 6M down, up
to 800k up).

If you figure a value of ~80kB/sec for g.711 voice traffic (with all the
overhead), that'll fit 8 simultaneous conversations comfortably, 9 if you like
living right at the edge. This assumes, of course, that you're not doing
anything else with the line.

> When upload speeds are limited does using a different codec help?

Yep. g.729 gets you almost 10x the calls in the same amount of bandwidth as
using g.711, with the tradeoff that you sound like you're on a cell phone.

-A.