[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Jul 18 04:03:25 EDT 2010

Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) wrote, On 07/18/2010 3:29 AM:
> On Sunday, July 18, 2010 01:47:23 am Paul Nijjar wrote:
>> This brings up some (impolite and even more off-topic) followup
>> questions.

Nothing here has been off-topic or impolite.

> Impolite?
>
>> How much do limited upload speeds hurt you in these kinds of
>> situations? Are you getting something better than commodity business
>> internet links?
>
> I've only been lucky enough to play with fancy links on one occasion.
> Everything else I've done has been over commodity DSL links (up to 6M down, up
> to 800k up).
>
> If you figure a value of ~80kB/sec for g.711 voice traffic (with all the
> overhead), that'll fit 8 simultaneous conversations comfortably, 9 if you like
> living right at the edge. This assumes, of course, that you're not doing
> anything else with the line.

To what extent, practically, in today's world, does QoS impact voice
quality?

My understanding is that such is not very well executed beyond my
demarc, so I can prioritize my own traffic out to the ISP, but all
bets are off after that. And, ISPs have so much more bandwidth than
the house, and I'm guessing that combined with you don't receive what
you don't ask for (if you're sending out more voice and less torrent,
you will likely receive back more voice than torrent), practically
speaking there is at least some impact.

So, my guess is there is some impact to in-house QoS, perhaps not 100%
adherence end-to-end, but some. Am I guessing reasonably?