[kwlug-disc] Google book deal

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jan 23 23:23:11 EST 2010

I have not been following the details too closely.

However, there are many concerns that I have seen voiced:

1. Will users of the online book search enjoy the privacy that paper version
borrowers have from regular libraries?

2. Will there be a competitor to Google so that pricing would not be
prohibitive for academics and other users?

3. Will Google have an unimpeded license out of print "orphaned" books
(those that have no clear owner)?

4. There has been talk about them seeking a court ruling that would allow
them access to orphaned work, and thus co-opting other processes that would
limit/prevent their access.

Here are some links from Slashdot where this has been a recurring theme.

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/02/26/077227.shtml

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/12/19/2028228/Library-Groups-Ask-DOJ-To-Oversee-Google-Books

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/08/31/064225/Librarians-Express-Concern-Over-Google-Books

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/09/19/1928245/DoJ-Recommends-NY-Court-Reject-Google-Book-Deal

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/09/07/2046243/Google-Books-As-Train-Wreck-For-Scholars

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/08/10/28/145249/125-Million-Settlement-In-Authors-Guild-v-Google

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/31/1719204&tid=14

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/08/19/0039254/Opting-Out-of-the-Google-Books-Settlement-Pro-amp-Con

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/09/17/1238226/Google-Buys-reCAPTCHA-For-Better-Book-Scanning

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/09/07/1545238/The-Copyright-Black-Hole-Swallowing-Our-Culture

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/03/1628233

Perhaps Pamela of groklaw would have one of her useful analysis and
summaries on this topic?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.