[kwlug-disc] Google book deal

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 23 20:20:24 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 05:42:24PM -0500, Lori Paniak wrote:
> Does anyone know the details of Google's foray into book digitization?
> Taking control from "those who write it" doesn't sound very
> FLOS-friendly.  Or is this last-minute posturing by certain writers for a bigger slice of pie?
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2010/01/23/leguin-petition-google.html

Here are a couple more links that help illustrate the issue:

This guy is against the settlement, but illustrates the conflict
pretty well. "Orphan" copyright holders get five years to come forward
and collect fees before those fees disappear. The author below says
that the Google scanning is opt-out, not opt-in, which is the problem:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-brantley/google-books-and-the-high_b_342318.html

Cory Doctorow is against the Author's Guild lawsuit because it is a
class-action lawsuit, but he approves of Google indexing book results
(which is not exactly the same as what is going on, as far as I can
tell):

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/17/google-book-search-s-1.html

- Paul