[kwlug-disc] Google book deal

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jan 23 20:53:02 EST 2010

So ... under appropriate circumstances, it's not ok to steal google
code (China), but it is OK to steal copyright.

Granted - not clear, and not black and white. e.g. I expect there are
author compensation issues, and issues wrt how hard google has to
search to find the copyright holder.

But, again, corporations want to play both sides of the fence,
depending upon when which is convenient or advantageous to them.

If the FOSS model is, essentially, everyone should write free code and
try to make money on the support back end, how does that work for
authors? There is no support back end.

Yet we all seem to want to berate those who want to have an idea, and
make tons of money on it such that they never have to work again.

As if consultants are expected to earn their daily bread, until the
day they die. They're berated for wanting to win the lottery, as it
were, and be able to retire early.

NO, NO FLAME WARS HERE.

Just irritated, sometimes. Probably inappropriately so. And probably
misinformed. No right answers for everyone in all circumstances.

Bob (Day) - you're an author ... have you been following this google
book / copyright stuff? Even if not, your particular thoughts, as an
author?