[kwlug-disc] Google book deal

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Jan 23 23:47:31 EST 2010

Local author and writer Laurel L. Russwurm suggests that Canadian
authors opt out of the Google Book Scan settlement.

The issue is that Google will be using scans of books for commercial
purposes, and paying one blanket settlement to the American Author's
Guild.  Authors and copyright holders will not be able to negotiate
their own terms for this commercial use of their works.

This will affect authors in the USA, Canada and Australia.   New
Zealand, Ireland, South Africa and India have already opted out of this,
preferring to deal with Google through their own country's author
collectives rather than the American Author's Guild.

More info at
http://laurelrusswurm.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/google-book-search-opt-out-letter-writers/
and
http://laurelrusswurm.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/canadian-writers-artists-say-no-to-gbs-settlement/

The deadline for opting out is 28 January, and the final decision will
be handed down on 18 February..

--Bob.