[kwlug-disc] ubiquiti rs pro

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Jan 17 14:56:03 EST 2010

Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 01/17/2010 10:00 AM:
.
.
.
>   shall we reset and try again?  any other routers look like a good
> choice?  the point is that it doesn't have to be state-of-the-art,
> bleeding edge, just good enough that most people would find it
> acceptable and it would give them a chance to get into openWRT with a
> minimum of muss, fuss and risk.
>
>   or is that idea just not going to work?

For me, it's not going to work. I could be arm-twisted about the price
point, but I won't be happy about it. Commercially, it's not an
unreasonable price point, but vendor time and margin isn't included,
which might push it beyond commercial acceptance. And all I mean by
that (commercial price point) is working backwards from those
reasonable price points, taking out the associated cost buffers, is
sort of where I was looking for in a DIY project.

For me the point is to acquire current hardware (802.11n, usb, sd,
gigabit) and get on with my day - anything less just means I'm going
to have to go through this all over again some time in the next 2
years. I'd rather wait. Or, more likely, just go buy the Asus RT-N16
  for $100, get on with my day, and worry about it again, later.

Software catching up I can live with, not hardware. I'm happy to
reset, as you suggest, but not on the hardware.