[kwlug-disc] OpenWRT / 802.11n / USB / SD / GB - MAC filtering wi-fi side specific?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jan 15 14:25:33 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> if enough kwlug people can agree on a particular router that would
> seem to fit most peoples' needs, we can collectively document exactly
> how to get it running out of the box, at which point a *lot* more
> people should be able to follow along.
>
>  it's just a thought.

All of that sounds like fun.  It would be good for us to add our
collected knowledge to the appropriate community wikis as well as any
local community page at kwlug.org.

What shall we do with our CoolRouters?  A LUG-mesh of wifi connections
between our locations?  We could provide an internet connection for
our friends  when their ISP is down.

How about a mobile server of some description?  What would you want to
do with a 'server' in your backpack or trunk?  Some sort of data
collection?  Ward?  ;-)  Some kind of location-based magic?

I did build a music server with an Asus WL-500G-P.  Added a USB drive
for media and had it serving two Squeezebox [1] players.  The
combination of the Squeeze server software and an encrypted wifi link
to one of two players was too much for the Asus.  Frequent timeouts
loss of sync lead to the retirement of that system.  It now runs from
a retired laptop.  Perhaps a smarter look at the server software can
revive this project.  The server software was brutal.

[1] http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/slim_devices_squeezebox_wireless_1.jpg