[kwlug-disc] OpenWRT / 802.11n / USB / SD / GB - MAC filtering wi-fi side specific?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jan 15 10:21:25 EST 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

>         every so often, i look around to see if there's a new,
>       openwrt-ideal
>       router out there.  and by openwrt-ideal, i mean:
>
>        * runs the latest version of openwrt with a 2.6 kernel
>        * at least one USB 2.0 port (preferably two)
>        * supports the graphical (luci) interface
>        * etc, etc, you get the idea.
>

> Me too ... the development is behind the new models available at the
> large stores.
>
> Graphical interface is not a must for me. Command line or web based
> is fine.
>
> But to add to the list:
>
> * Wireless N support.

  i actually had tossed that in under the "etc, etc" part. :-)  but if
someone identifies such a router that's locally available, how about a
kwlug project for a few people to each buy one, and then have the
locals document the crap out of it and put that up at the kwlug site
so others can do the same?

  from my experiences with the openwrt list, the biggest drawback for
beginners to get into openwrt is:

  * deciding which router to buy, then
  * learning the hard way that that router has some deficiencies

if enough kwlug people can agree on a particular router that would
seem to fit most peoples' needs, we can collectively document exactly
how to get it running out of the box, at which point a *lot* more
people should be able to follow along.

  it's just a thought.

rday