[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Tue Jan 12 16:03:28 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 01/12/2010 11:08:34 AM:
> From: Joe Wennechuk <youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com>
>
> I was thinking of all of the manpower, hardware and such (Everything
> end to end); Especially, if some super user who is the only guy who
> really knows what's going on decides to leave.
>
> Running a complete linux solution in a big company with no active
> directory. This seems it could get expensive, and cumbersome.

Like Richard Weait said, that's a business problem. The technology isn't
the problem there.

If the root password on Linux can be easily changed if it is forgotten.

There are many directory servers available for Linux: OpenLDAP, Fedora
Directory, NIS, Novell eDirectory. The first three are open source. These
all allow for one directory of users, one password, etc. Using Samba in
conjunction with OpenLDAP creates a Windows domain that Windows
workstations can join giving centralized users and passwords for Windows
PCs.

I hold Linux certifications as well as an MSCE certification and have been
working with both for almost 20 years.

My experience says that Linux is easier to install, but Windows is easier
to set up a domain controller. When Windows breaks it is much harder to
fix. Patches and software updates on Windows is often a white knuckle
event on production servers where Linux tends to be more stable in that
regard. Windows requires more 3rd party software from backup software to
anti-virus software and each of these comes with licensing and
administration burden.

Net Direct installs and cares for lots of Linux business servers that in
some cases are the only server in the organization. They handle email,
firewall, file sharing domain control, spam filtering, VPN, web
applications, centralized antivirus, proxy, backup, system recovery, DHCP,
DNS, etc, etc. I've always said that a Windows technician could work on
the PCs in any of our customers and not know the server was running Linux.

We moved to Linux because we saw it was cheaper for our customers in the
long run.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO