[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jan 9 23:51:40 EST 2010

> For many people that don't know or fear FLOSS your example, if not
> presented properly, will be used against FLOSS. I've heard it many times:
> "FLOSS is defective, developers want the users to fix it for them".

And that is fine, bigots will be bigots, so what? What matters is the end
result.

When was the last time that the Linux kernel paniced on you (other than for
hardware problems)? When was the last time you rebooted a server other than
for a kernel upgrade or hardware upgrade?

# uptime
 04:47:10 up 566 days, 22:52,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.10, 0.07

> I am well aware of that difference. I used to have Fedora on my primary
> desktop, It was the distro with the must up to date versions and trying new
> things all the time. Of course things broke frequently. I spent time
> figuring out the problems, investigating and sometimes reporting or helping
> others, There I was a user/contributor even at a small scale.
>
> I finally decided to switch to a different distro when I decide to have a
> more usable one. There I became the second kind of user. I want it to work
> with as little fuss as possible.

Which is fine. For KDE, I am just a user. I want a functional desktop that I
don't
fiddle with. I want office software on it to do the regular things regular
users do.
I am not even an advanced users when it comes to the desktop. I want an
environment
that stays out of my way. I rarely tweak my desktop. I rarely file bugs, and
even when
I do, they normally get fixed the following release, not because I filed a
patch. I don't even know the internals of KDE enough to study its source let
alone understand it and file patches for it.

Those who have the ability and willingness do that, and enough of them are
around to keep (most) projects healthy.
 --
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.