[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 22:26:16 EST 2010

--- On Sat, 1/9/10, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> Not as scary as it sounds ...

I think it is.

For many people that don't know or fear FLOSS your example, if not presented properly, will be used against FLOSS. I've heard it many times: "FLOSS is defective, developers want the users to fix it for them". Of course this comment is from people that haven't really used FLOSS just second hand comments.

I know FLOSS and I know that the "users" you are referring to are contributors that jump in to check the SVN. Not the "final users" of stable versions.

I am well aware of that difference. I used to have Fedora on my primary desktop, It was the distro with the must up to date versions and trying new things all the time. Of course things broke frequently. I spent time figuring out the problems, investigating and sometimes reporting or helping others, There I was a user/contributor even at a small scale.

I finally decided to switch to a different distro when I decide to have a more usable one. There I became the second kind of user. I want it to work with as little fuss as possible.

In summary: I disagree with the way you said it. But agree with the way you clarified it.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/