[kwlug-disc] VOIP and Direct Detect (offtopic)

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 16:54:17 EST 2010

I know this is off topic, but since there are a few VOIP experts here,
I am humbly requesting any advice I can get.

I am moving into a new house in a couple weeks and was just thrown a
curve-ball. I just found out that the Kitchener won't give us an
occupancy permit unless we have this direct detect service:
http://www.kitchener.ca/city_hall/departments/devtech_services/fire/direct_detect/residential_monitoring.html

Of course, they "say" that it only works with a Bell phone line.
Apparently it is just a device that dials out when the smoke alarm goes
off. I have convinced them to let me "try" it with my voip ata.
I'm going to get DSL service at the house on the first, and our
inspection is on the second, so I need this thing to work right away or
problems will ensue.

I'm considering involving my lawyer if this delays our occupancy
permit, but I'd like to know if anyone here has used this system with a
voip ata? Any chance this will simply work?

note: I'm using a linksys spa-2102 with Acanac and have been using it
for over a year, so it's already configured correctly for phone use.

 __
Jason