[kwlug-disc] Map Mashups

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Feb 12 15:51:53 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> All the hipsters are making Google Map mashups. Is this difficult to
> do?
>
> I have also heard of some other project that produces maps --
> OpenStreetMap or something. Does this project support map mashups?
> If so, is this hard to do?

If only there were some sort of local group that met to discuss such things ...
http://www.meetup.com/Waterloo-OSM/

> In an ideal world this mashup would allow end-users to easily enter
> addresses that appear on the map, with textual descriptions. Ideally,
> the people would not need to be terribly computer-literate to do this.
> Another idea would be to feed in a file (maybe in CSV format) with
> addresses and information, then get that generated into a map.

I can imagine too many different "solutions" from trivial to not
trivial.  Can you give more context?  What do you want to accomplish?

> Obviously I have to do some reading about this. But if you know of
> tutorials and/or existing websites to do this easily, I would be
> interested.

The OpenLayers example page should give you some things to think about.
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/