[kwlug-disc] Map Mashups

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 12 15:52:54 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 03:51:53PM -0500, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> > In an ideal world this mashup would allow end-users to easily enter
> > addresses that appear on the map, with textual descriptions. Ideally,
> > the people would not need to be terribly computer-literate to do this.
> > Another idea would be to feed in a file (maybe in CSV format) with
> > addresses and information, then get that generated into a map.
>
> I can imagine too many different "solutions" from trivial to not
> trivial.  Can you give more context?  What do you want to accomplish?

I don't want to make all details public (at least not yet). It is a
pretty standard situation, though. For example, this:

http://cgi.softwarefreedomday.org/2009/map.shtml

I want flaggy things that people can click with more info.

I want input data coming either from a spreadsheet or a really easy to
use interface that I don't need to put a lot of effort into
developing. It is okay if end-users manually regenerate the map using
spreadsheet data.

End-users will not know proper latitude and longitude, so they would
enter in street addresses for their data.

It would be nice if it was possible to keep this on an intranet, at
least for the time being.

I don't want to have to do a lot of programming to make this happen.

I'm wanting ponies again, aren't I?

> > Obviously I have to do some reading about this. But if you know of
> > tutorials and/or existing websites to do this easily, I would be
> > interested.
>
> The OpenLayers example page should give you some things to think about.
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/

That's a good reminder. After 15 seconds of intense skimming it is not
obvious that OSM/OpenLayers does flaggy things. Does OSM do flaggy things?
(I should read before I post.)

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org