[kwlug-disc] RedHat yum dependency handling

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 13:45:38 EST 2010

One of the annoying issues with the YUM repositories is that they are not extensions of the existing repositories. Some of them package things differently and are incompatible with other repositories.

This is not YUM's or RedHat or Fedora's fault. Admins should select compatible repositories.

On the other hand, incompatible repositories mushroomed because the RedHat/Fedora repositories are limited.

I am sure that better coordination between RedHat and third party repositories is in high order.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/