[kwlug-disc] RedHat yum dependency handling

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 11 16:43:20 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Sorry ... have to ask ...
>
> Has any cursing in Arabic happened thus far?

Not so much. I decided to seek help first.

In the Debian world I have *never* added any repository on a server. The
beauty of Debian Ubuntu is that I don't have to deal with all this:
everything is in the default repositories and everything work with
everything happily.

On the desktop, I went outside the default repositories, to add certain
specific proprietary products (Opera, Skype and Chromium). One repository
for each product. But that is it.

To those using Debian/Ubuntu, this is just natural expectations. Nothing
special: a comprehensive repository set, and excellent dependencies.

This is a typical web host server that is RedHat RHEL5 or CentOS5, so not an
odd configuration by any means. It is what hosting companies have out there.

So, I am willing to give CentOS/RedHat yum a shot, and so far John V has
been *really* helpful. The outcome is still undecided though. So, let us
defer the cursing till later ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.