[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Feb 7 16:17:59 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> If I understand your points about frequency of Drupal updates / lack of
> security updates for older Drupal versions, is using LTS really viable?
> Given you're already in more frequent / update mode for Drupal anyways?

Yes, one part is moving fast (Drupal), but at least the rest of the stack
(LAMP) is not, and does not need to be upgraded often.

So the net result is a win: I get security updates for everything, though
the means of updating is different for the two (Linux via distro repository,
Drupal via drupal.org). I don't get the pain of upgrading too frequently or
dealing with compatibility issues when upgrading.

I can see your point is some (?) years as Drupal settles down. You've
> pointed out that Drupal is currently still in rapid evolution. In your
> experience / expectation, is LTS, today, reasonable?

Ubuntu LTS is indeed viable. I never had something break on me on a server
because of an apt upgrade. Shouldn't say "never", but at least I don't
recall such
an incident.

Drupal will not slow down in the foreseeable future, just because the pace
of web technology is fast. Even if it does, core may stabilize a bit, but
modules will always be in flux.

There is nothing stopping a Drupal company from backporting patches to
obsolete versions. This has been discussed several times in the community,
but there were no takers.

> Or/and is Debian stable a more reasonable platform for production than
> Ubuntu LTS server (in these particular circumstances)? Either way, you're
> still updating Drupal more frequently / more often than just 'OS' releases?

I have not managed a Debian server long enough to form an opinion, although
I helped a few clients with specific aspects of it.

>From what I understand Debian stable and Ubuntu LTS are close enough, but
I just happen to use the latter. One factor is me using Ubuntu desktops,
slow pace of updates (perhaps not so much recently) and the reputation that
Ubuntu has a few things that are more up to date than Debian's.