[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Feb 4 07:53:46 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 20:23 -0500, William Park wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:21:08AM -0500, Adam Glauser wrote:
> > William Park wrote:
> > >    - Slackare uses 'tar.xz' (was: 'tar.gz') as container.  It usually
> > >      has a script to do things after extracting the tarball, mostly
> > >      creating symlinks.  This is simple, fast, transparent, and robust.
> > >      Again, an order of magnitude faster than other distro, in terms of
> > >      cpu time and user time.
> > >
> > >    - Slackware depends less on online depository.  So, you download
> > >      original source, compile, install to DESTDIR, make ".txz" package,
> > >      and finally install to system.  You can install directly into
> > >      system after compiling, but that would make uninstalling
> > >      difficult.  Slackware has no "dependency" issue, at all.  Again,
> > >      saving me time.
> >
> > The thing I like most about Debian and its kin is the repository.
> > Having one mechanism to manage security patches to packages is the
> > killer app for Linux over Windows as far as I am concerned.  This
> > probably applies to the Red Hat family now too, given the advent of yum.
> >
> > How does Slackware approach this problem, if at all?
>
> All Linux distros and Windows have their own way of updates.  Of Linux
> distro, Slackware deviates from the Unix "norm" the least.
>
> But, when you say "killer apps for Linux over Windows", are you saying
> that Windows doesn't have standard mechanism for updates?  I'm a Linux
> guy, but we gotta get over this Windows-bashing...

In a deb-based system, I can upgrade *all* installed applications and
the OS with two lines:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

With a minimal amount of setup, I can upgrade all the software on all
workstations in my office with:

cssh my_office apt-get update
cssh my_office apt-get upgrade

Maybe even run something like that as a cron job...

Is there an equivalent method for updating installed software on Windows
machines?