[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 00:59:01 EST 2010

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> But, when you say "killer apps for Linux over Windows", are
> you saying
> that Windows doesn't have standard mechanism for
> updates?  I'm a Linux
> guy, but we gotta get over this Windows-bashing...

Actually it doesn't. Some applications are starting to "advise that it is time to update" but it is not a standard way. MS has tried to do something with .NET to allow updating from a remote server but each application vendor must set it themselves.

http://www.wavyx.net/2009/01/28/net-auto-update-application/

It is really a pain from the vendor point of view. And the user must check application by application. All using different interfaces.

This is not bashing, this is something where Linux is clearly head and shoulders over Windows.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/