[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Thu Feb 4 09:18:15 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 02/04/2010 07:53:46 AM:

> In a deb-based system, I can upgrade *all* installed applications and
> the OS with two lines:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
>
> With a minimal amount of setup, I can upgrade all the software on all
> workstations in my office with:
>
> cssh my_office apt-get update
> cssh my_office apt-get upgrade
>
> Maybe even run something like that as a cron job...
>
> Is there an equivalent method for updating installed software on Windows
> machines?

One might argue that there is separate software for that in Windows.
Windows SMS, or MOM (is it?) And there are 3rd party packages. Those, also
provide monitoring for patches and AV updates. The Linux package managers
don't monitor. But, it's a bad argument since we can purchase something
that does the same for Linux or use Nagios with hand-crafted rules.

And what about a feature rich standard package manager. I like the idea
that I don't have to rely on an open source package's uninstall program to
remove itself. I find that's the least tested part of windows programs and
fails to work fairly often.

With Linux I like the fact that I can query the package manager to see
what files a package installs, before or after I install it. A package can
circumvent it by moving files around in a post-install script, but rarely
is it an issue.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO