[kwlug-disc] upgrading hardware/64bit OS

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Aug 30 14:10:16 EDT 2010

It's so easy to stick it on a usb key and test - why guess.

For a machine (don't know Athlon's), go to http://factorydirect.ca/.
For older, don't do Intel less than about 3.0 (2.8) GHz WITH
HyperThreading - it's not worth it. For later / new - something with a
dual core, and, given prior threads, something with the vm instruction
set in the CPU. (Others can advise specifics better than I.)
Regardless, you're going to want at least 4GB memory (if 32-bit) and
running a VM. So you'll be buying memory unless it's a spanking new
computer.

Throwing memory (these days) is no longer a sure fire fix. 'Slow' is
slow - a moving target, especially as today's OS' are harder on video.
Widgets take more 'power'.

 From your note, I gather this is a desktop not a laptop. In my
experience, throwing in a somewhat decent video card brings miles more
performance. e.g. going from the motherboard video to an AGP Nvidia
card ($50?) boosted perceived performance amazingly.

If the current machine is at all decent, CPU wise, e.g. hyperthreaded,
then it will always be useful as a spare box. Upgrading CPU / memory /
graphics won't go to waste.