[kwlug-disc] Gnome statistics: Redhat 16 - Canonical 1?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Aug 1 23:32:48 EDT 2010

Raul Suarez wrote, On 08/01/2010 11:13 PM:
> --- On *Sun, 8/1/10, Khalid Baheyeldin /<kb at 2bits.com>/* wrote:
>  > The guy is Greg DeK. He speaks at many conferences. I heard him speak
> twice at
>  > FOSS events. Was quite good actually. He made the same "9 Billion
> open source
>  > company" point.
>
> At those conferences he may or may not be speaking as part of Red Hat.
> In this case, he clarifies that he no longer works for Red Hat and the
> rant has no relationship with them.
>
> Besides, he added what seems to be a heart felted apology for the rant.
>
> I think that taking this blog and extrapolating to a battle between Red
> Hat and Canonical is a bit extreme.
>
> (Unless of course I misread your original post and you didn't mean to
> imply that there is a battle brewing)

He was asking. (As in, "Did I miss something?")

Official or not, I take Khalid's point - we need another KDE vs. Gnome
like episodic soap opera tirade like we need another ... <pick your
favourite phrase>

Or, to paraphrase ... Why can't we all just get along. (And just focus
on coordinated attempts to kill 'everyman' proprietary software. Oops
- did that slip out loud?)