[kwlug-disc] Gnome statistics: Redhat 16 - Canonical 1?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Aug 1 23:22:20 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Raul Suarez <rarsa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On *Sun, 8/1/10, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com>* wrote:
> > The guy is Greg DeK. He speaks at many conferences. I heard him speak
> twice at
> > FOSS events. Was quite good actually. He made the same "9 Billion open
> source
> > company" point.
>
> At those conferences he may or may not be speaking as part of Red Hat. In
> this case, he clarifies that he no longer works for Red Hat and the rant has
> no relationship with them.
>
> Besides, he added what seems to be a heart felted apology for the rant.
>
> I think that taking this blog and extrapolating to a battle between Red Hat
> and Canonical is a bit extreme.
>
> (Unless of course I misread your original post and you didn't mean to imply
> that there is a battle brewing)

I was wondering if something was brewing and Rashkae partially answered that
saying Mark Shuttleworth kind of started it.

As for Greg DeK, he was THE community guy at Redhat, meaning he should know
better than anyone else that market capitalization is not everything. Market
capitalization many times means nothing for non-FOSS companies (Nortel or
DotCom era companies anyone)? This is specially true in FOSS where community
good will ensures a continues stream of contribution (everything from code,
documentation, peer support, marketing, buzz, ...etc.)
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.