[kwlug-disc] KWLUG Ignite night?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Aug 1 23:06:50 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> So Raul said that we should all consider giving Ignite talks, and
> Richard gave us an entertaing example of presenting KWLUG content in
> the format. Do we want to try an Ignite-style KWLUG meeting? If so
> then May 2011 looks like it is open. (Hopefully the fad will not be
> over by then.)
>
> In order to make this happen we need some brave people to pitch Ignite
> talks on topics relevant to the LUG. I think that 8-10 talks will be
> enough for a good meeting, although we can certainly add a few more
> slots if there is interest. (Bonus: the FLOSS fund announcement and
> Linux News portions of the meeting can be in Ignite format as well.)

I like.  The Ignite presentation was fun for me.  As a tip to other
presenters, it takes as many rehearsals but the rehearsals are only
five minutes long.

What about an additional Ignite-format event outside of the LUG?  For
LUGers to face the public.  Something like:

This Time, Let's Not Eat the Bones - A Night of Linux and Open Source,
in Easy Pieces
or
We're Open -  The Open Source, Open Data and Open Government World,
Presented for You.

Presenters from KW's thriving, productive and creative Free Software,
Open Source and Linux community provide introductions and insight to
the key topics in the field.

Doors open and networking
10 ignite talks
break and refreshments
10 ignite talks
Reception and networking

We would have to police ourselves carefully and prevent shameless
self-promotion.  No "about me / about my company" slides, for example.
 But if you speak effectively about a topic, you'll have a line-up
during the breaks.