[kwlug-disc] installing Ubuntu into /dev/sda9 ?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Aug 2 04:52:36 EDT 2010

I was able to install Legacy GRUB (v 0.97) on extended partitions.  But
after a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 my hard drive was infected by
PC-GRUB (v 1.98), and that has only installed in primary partitions or
the MBR.

I have not (successfully) played with the PC-GRUB config files.

On some older laptops PC-GRUB won't run at all, and so I've forced
Legacy GRUB on them.  One of those older laptops is new running Mint
LXDE with Legacy GRUB. Keep your 8.04 CDs for GRUB rescues!  On other,
newer computers I've just lived with the default PC-GRUB installation.
Ugly and complicated, but it seems to work.

--Bob.