[kwlug-disc] topic request

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Apr 30 23:22:07 EDT 2010

Different issues, I think, best dealt with separately.

But definitely a worthy issue.

Given threads in the list, it would be interesting to see a similarly
split presentation - one on both 'OS's, and a second on the two
package management 'tasks'.

I wouldn't want too deep a dive on either one though. e.g. OS', first
stop, is people often need headers to compile against the kernel,
etc., etc. Next might be a kernel module (e.g. dazuko/compatibility).
Next could be the kernel itself. [To nod to Bob on his past
presentation, device drivers get in here too.] Then perhaps a trivial
kernel mod.

	Also in here, but perhaps making things too complex, is following the
messages that appear on screen, which is doing what, which are/n't
kernel related, etc.

Same 'higher' level on package management - system software
maintenance steps: apt-get (aptitude?) mechanics, then rpm mechanics.

Perhaps, both, to wrapping something up to give to someone else, or to
send up to a repository. But not, I think, very low level dpkg tools?

So, one night, OS', Debian (kubuntu) contrasted with CentOS, another
night aptitude contrasted with rpm?

Certainly package management methodology has been a not infrequent
list topic - usually coming up with 'what distro to use.' The answer
to which seems to usually surround which package manager are you more
comfortable with.