[kwlug-disc] topic request

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Apr 30 23:19:56 EDT 2010

Eric Gerlach wrote, On 04/30/2010 8:54 PM:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:19:40PM -0400, Stephen Palmateer wrote:
>> Permission to request a discussion about building the linux kernel from
>> source.
>>
>> I am attempting to build the CentOS 5.4 kernel from source and am
>> frustrating my colleagues with questions they cannot answer.
>>
>> I have only been using linux (of one colour or another) for about a year now
>> and have been attending the KWLUG meetings for the last four months.
>
> I can do something on building kernels The Debian Way (TM) (also
> includes Ubuntu), but I can't help with CentOS.  I could probably split
> the presentation with someone else.

I, for one, like the idea. (But don't know anything about anything.)

> No demos though... takes a little while to build a kernel :-)

Could you not build beforehand, then delete just a target or two?

It would let you demo.

> Also, I'm not ready to commit to a date on this one, so don't sign me
> up.

Seeing the two 'OS's contrasted would be interesting. I'm not trying
to start a flamewar here. Both are well respected and have their
place. Understanding 'the dark side' has merit.