[kwlug-disc] Couch laptop table/platform?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 28 22:45:26 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Richard Weait wrote, On 04/28/2010 9:45 PM:
>
>  On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Being the unreformed couch potato that I am, with a small laptop, already
>>> with a sore neck from tilting my head down to read it, and now needing
>>> reading glasses to see the screen ... anyone know of laptop table
>>> thingies
>>> and where to get them for couch laptop use?
>>>
>>> Wheels would be required, and the table must extend over the cushions.
>>> Even
>>> better, given the laz-y-boy, if things fit over the footrests!
>>>
>>> I could see an end table with an arm that swings over, or a cart I could
>>> push away when I get up. More likely the latter, there's already enough
>>> junk
>>> on the end table.
>>>
>>> Decadent, I know, but we live in that kind of society.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking Staples. Neither stack a shelf nor costco web sites seem to
>>> have anything suitable.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>

>> One of these is better.
>> http://www.verko.co.uk/%2Fuploads%2Fproductshots%2FERLapB_1.jpg
>>

> I dunno, where do you put the cushion when you get up?
>
> - no space around me to put it, so floor, where you just know I'm going to
> trip on the power cord. I'd sent everything flying!
>
> Note: Flying netbooks, bad. Flying netbooks stopping suddenly against hard
> surfaces, really bad. Problem: perpetual motion machine - keep laptop not
> landing, not yet invented. Further problem: once flying - how to recapture?
> Boomerang shaped?

I have a shelf next to me. Before I get up, I remove the laptop from the
lap desk, and put it on top of the shelf. Then but the lap desk aside.

No accidents, no one sits on the laptop, no one trips on the cables.

You can do the same with an end table/night table thing with no light source
on it. If your place of comfort is in the room corner, the cables will be
out of
the way.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin