[kwlug-disc] Couch laptop table/platform?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Apr 29 01:18:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 22:39 -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> I dunno, where do you put the cushion when you get up?
>
> - no space around me to put it, so floor, where you just know I'm
> going to trip on the power cord. I'd sent everything flying!

I have almost the same lap-desk surface Khalid linked to, minus the pen
compartments. The only flaw I've seen is it is not easy to just put it
down -- I need to put the laptop down (on the table), then put the
lap-desk down (on the couch to stop the dog from taking my spot). You
may be able to leave the laptop on the surface if it has good rubber
feet (mine does not). The surface does not sit level on its own without
fussing due to the padded cushion.

The bright side is that it stores away between the couch and the end
table, so I don't have to see it when I'm not using it. I looked at the
table units, and I didn't see how they would store away easily. I didn't
look very hard, though.

The other down side is I got mine due mostly to heat, not height. I was
worried about not only certain parts of my anatomy, but also my blanket
obstructing proper airflow preventing the laptop from cooling
adequately. If you're worried about height, especially considering
you're using a netbook, you may need to go with something else that can
lift the unit higher, like the wheeled table you posted. But once your
neck doesn't hurt, you'll have to invest in a wireless keyboard to stop
from straining your arms and wrists from reaching up to the unit.

You could always get one of those monitor arms and a low-end LCD
monitor. Attach it to the side of your lazy-boy, and adjust it to your
comfort ;)

> Note: Flying netbooks, bad. Flying netbooks stopping suddenly against
> hard surfaces, really bad. Problem: perpetual motion machine - keep
> laptop not landing, not yet invented. Further problem: once flying -
> how to recapture? Boomerang shaped?

Solution: Stick some buttered toast to both sides. Maybe some cats:

http://scienceblogs.com/omnibrain/upload/2007/05/Cat_toast.JPG

Be careful if using both to not destroy the universe:

http://img111.imageshack.us/i/72rl7.jpg/

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca