[kwlug-disc] YAK Internet + Home Phone deal for Kitchener

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Apr 26 11:58:17 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:37 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Side note: As for my (& Khalid's) Roger's Express, up to 10 Mbps (and
> above?), that's just a fantasy anyways. The net won't feed you that fast,
> heck, the net isn't feeding Rogers that fast for them to send it on to you.
> YMMV, average browsing, etc., etc., yada, yada, yada. I never have, and
> never expect, to see speeds that fast.

I always get 1 MB/sec on downloads, which is the nominal 10 Mbps. Speed is
great.  I notice it when I download files (e.g. site copies from clients).

Not that it is a deal breaker, but they do get you the speed advertised more
or less consistently.

I also have SMTP working, by routing it on an alternate port, using this
in postfix

  relayhost = [something.example.com]:587

Works great. So SMTP is not an issue.

What is annoying is the bandwidth overage.

And hijacking the thread again ... apparently Rogers business service has no
> cap. I expect you must have a business address. Don't know if traffic
> filtering is an issue on the business service - Paul? Charles?

No word on a cap on their price page ...

http://your.rogers.com/business/productsservices/internetservices/access/businessinternetaccess.asp

But they are expensive compared to residential ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.