[kwlug-disc] YAK Internet + Home Phone deal for Kitchener

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 28 12:53:52 EDT 2010

So, I called Yak to find out more about the offer.

The offer is still going on at $59.90 per month. She said if you do not
change anything in your plan, then the price will remain the same. If you
add new features then the price goes back to regular ($75 and change).

In my area, they say they can do 5 Mbps only, which is a drawback from what
I have now (10 Mbps), but something I can live with.

No DSL modem is included, so I have to buy my own.

The phone, which is NOT VoIP, has 5 features: call display, call answering,
call waiting, 3-way calling and call forwarding. They will preserve my Bell
phone number as well.

The bad news is that long distance has to stay with Yak. I currently use
NECC Telecom, which has low rates, and no monthly fees, specially when I
call the USA and Egypt a lot.

NECC has $0.14 per minute for Egypt [special rate] vs. $0.29 with Yak, and
$2.85 with Bell! The rate to USA/Canada is $0.03 to $0.05 [comparable to Yak
which has $0.035 for both].

I was tempted by call features, which are expensive to get with Bell ($5 to
$7 each).

Guess I will stay with Rogers (internet) and Bell (home phone).

Sigh ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.