[kwlug-disc] YAK Internet + Home Phone deal for Kitchener

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 18:17:58 EDT 2010

Here is my speed test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/794189427.png

It's sitting at about 4.3Mbps, which is no more than I got with Bell.
Downloading hits 550kB/sec.  I'm happy with the speed.  I'm a patient
man that came from the days of 300 baud modems, so I don't mind
waiting for files to download.  The big reason I moved, was the
torrenting.  I torrent whenever there is an option to torrent and in
the free software realm, there is a lot out there.  I tend to help out
by downloading Linux distros and letting them sit and seed for a while
as well.

I've had Yak for a week and have not really seen any issues.  Phone
quality is as good as can be expected from a phone line and since it's
a POTS line, I can use a phone that's actually powered off the line if
needed.

>From what I can tell, port 25 is being blocked.  I tried a few servers
out there, but consistently could not connect.  Anyone know an open
SMTP server I can connect to for testing?

Installation

Yak performed no in home installation at all as I did not get one of
their modems.  I have a SpeedTouch Extended Range DSL modem that I
use.  They only have someone come out if you get a modem from them.

This is the ADSL / POTS splitter that Bell installed:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Universal+ADSL%2FVDSL+Indoor+POTS+Splitter&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=
PDF: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CBIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hometech.com%2Fpdf%2Fcc-cpsdt0a_1.pdf&ei=3L7US_2QMISBlAfqktzsDA&usg=AFQjCNG6fEyPxjRR6bIPC9cYAXLrnCTHxw&sig2=q62--WIVBD6W9Km-uaJF0g

The terminals on the side are spring loaded.  Strip the wire, push
down on the terminal, insert the wire and release.  Filters the whole
home, then you just run an unfiltered line to the DSL modem.  No more
filters hanging around.